Guests of Honor
Art Show and Auction
Short Story Contest
Young Author Contest
Code of Conduct
2013 Designated Charity
Links of Interest
FenCon X: Home
The 2013 FenCon Writers Workshop is sold out!
FenCon and the Dallas Future Society are happy to announce that our ninth annual
Writers Workshop will be hosted by award-winning Tor Books editors Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
We are thrilled to welcome them as our Special Guest instructors for 2013.
The Workshop will be an intense series of seminar-style sessions beginning on
Thursday, October 3rd. They will be held in conjunction with FenCon X. The sessions will be
personally supervised by professional editors Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
This year's Writers Workshop will cover several topics including:
- The state of the SF industry (this week)
- Useful tricks to improve your prose
- Reader Mind
Participants will be required to submit work for critique. These should be short
stories of 1000 to 5000 words, or the first 5000 words of longer works. Note that these must be the
first 5000 words, not 5000 words from the middle. Participants will not be required to provide
critiques of other participantís submissions.
- The Writers Workshop is limited to 20 participants. The workshop slots have been filled.
- Registration was on a first-come, first served basis. Any paid registrations which come after
the slots have been filled will be put on a waiting list in case of openings.
- Each participant must be a paid attending member of FenCon. Either a full Regular Membership or
Friend of the Fen Membership meets this requirement. See the membership page
- There is a $40 registration fee for participating in the Workshop in addition to the FenCon
membership fee. The fee must be paid at the time of registration.
- Writer's Workshop sessions begin at 6pm on Thursday, October 3, 2013, and will
continue through Sunday, October 6, 2013. The Friday, Saturday, and Sunday sessions will
start at 9am. Participation in all workshop sessions is highly encouraged. Please plan your
personal schedule accordingly.
- No monitoring or auditing of the sessions will be allowed. Only paid, registered participants
will be allowed to attend the workshop sessions
- Each participant must submit their own original work of fiction via an electronic manuscript
consisting of short stories of 1000 to 5000 words, or the first 5000 words of longer works. These
must be the first 5000 words, not 5000 words from the middle. No shared-worlds or "fanfic"
- Deadline for submission will be no later than 11pm Friday, August 23, 2013.
Submissions received after this time will not be guaranteed to receive a critique.
- Each participant will have access to a private online forum where they can ask questions, interact with each
other prior to the workshop, and post their submissions and critiques.
- Submissions should be in something approximating standard manuscript format and be sent
as *.doc (not docx), *.rtf, or plain-text document attachments.
- Other details will be provided to registered participants later in a private message.
Registration for the 2013 FenCon Writers Workshop opened at 9pm on
Saturday, February 16, 2013. It closed at 9pm on Thursday, February 21, 2013.
If you have any questions or comments about this workshop, e-mail